2018 was a big year for anime movies at the box office! The MPPAJ held a press conference talking about the state of Japan’s movie industry, and things were looking good.
There was a slight dip in revenue compared to 2017, but the industry hauled in 225.51 billion yen ($2.06 billion) — the third highest recorded since 2000! Even more exciting is that 12 of the top 30 highest earning films were either anime or adaptations. Here were the biggest earners:
1. Detective Conan: Zero the Enforcer (9.18 billion yen)
2. Doraemon the Movie: Nobita’s Treasure Island (5.37 billion yen)
3. Gintama 2: Okite wa Yaburu tame ni koso Aru (3.7 billion yen)
4. Pokémon the Movie: The Power of Us (3.09 billion yen)
5. Mirai (2.88 billion yen)
6. Yo-kai Watch Shadow Side: Oni-ou no Fukkatsu (2.04 billion yen)
7. Crayon Shin-chan: Burst Serving! Kung Fu Boys ~Ramen Rebellion~ (1.84 billion yen)
8. Chihayafuru Musubi (1.73 billion yen)
9. My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (1.72 billion yen)
10. Sensei Kunshu (1.23 billion yen)
11. Hugtto! PreCure Futari wa Pretty Cure: All-Stars Memories (1.15 billion yen)
12. Fullmetal Alchemist (1.11 billion yen)
Did you watch any of these films?