The final two episodes of Maerchen Maedchen have been indefinitely delayed, with the 10th episode serving as the anti-climatic finale.
Program guides have indicated that Maerchen Maedchen is being suspended and that plans for the final two episodes will be announced at a later time on the anime’s official website. The anime’s issued a statement confirming the reports that episode 10 is serving as the finale.
The episodes’ suspension is a rare and very public admission of a troubled production, but it’s something the series isn’t unfamiliar with. Episodes 9 and 10 were delayed earlier this month to improve the animation quality – which was still panned by fans.
So, was two weeks enough to fix Maerchen Maedchen? These faces tell the story of my disappointment… pic.twitter.com/wkMYwtE2Wj
— Joe Morris (@joeschmo1of3) March 22, 2018
It’s an embarrassing blow to studio Hoods Entertainment’s reputation, which also produced Mysterious Girlfriend X and Drifters. Sakugablog spoke to a Maerchen Maedchen staffer about what wrong with anime’s production in a detailed postmortem. Some of the highlights include:
- Hoods Entertainment paying below industry standards.
- Outsourcing plans being rejected by Hoods Entertainment CEO Masaru Nagai.
- Series director Shigeru Ueda stepping down after working on episode 8, cutting contact between the production desk and animation staff.
- Delays caused by poor animation that had to be corrected by episode directors and supervisors.
- Animation cuts airing uncorrected.
- Falsely crediting and miscrediting staff for work.
Terrible planning, slashing the budget, and an understaffed crew led to the messy production of Maerchen Maedchen. The fate of the final two episodes will be shared at a later time.