Blade Runner Black Out 2022 is officially out! The anime short is directed by Shinichirou Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop / Samurai Champloo / Terror in Resonance) and serves as an official bridge for Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049.
Watanabe credits Riddley Scott’s Blade Runner for being a huge influence on his life, and he said it was a dream come to true to work on the short.
Blade Runner Black Out 2022 is only 15 minutes, but it packs a lot of info for current and future Blade Runner fans. It highlights a terrorist act committed by a pair of Replicants (extremely human-like androids), which kicks starts a catastrophe that will be seen in Blade Runner 2049.
And did we mention how beautiful it looks?
The short’s high-quality animation is thanks to the all-star team that worked on it. Everyone knows that Watanabe directed the project, but here are some of the other big-name contributors:
- Tatsuyuki Tanaka (Akira key animation / Venus Wars key animation)
- Shinji Hashimoto (Tokyo Godfathers key animation / Spirited Away key animation / Perfect Blue key animation)
- Naoki Yoshibe (Attack on Titan opening key animation / Gatchaman Crowds opening director)
- Mitsuo Iso (FLCL key animation / Perfect Blue key animation / Ghost in the Shell key animation)
- Kouichi Arai (Eureka Seven opening key animation / Ghost in the Shell: Arise chief animation director)
- Hiroyuki Okiura (Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade director / A Letter to Momo director)
- Hironori Tanaka (Akame ga Kill! key animation / Bakemonogatari key animation / Fate/Grand Order key animation)
- Bahi JD (Space Dandy key animation / One Punch Man key animation)
- Shinya Ohira (Howl’s Moving Castle key animation / Redline key animation)
Bringing everything together is Flying Lotus’s soundtrack production! They really went all-out for this tie-in short, which is being considered by critics to be the best of the three Blade Runner shorts.
Blade Runner Black Out 2022 is available for free streaming on Crunchyroll and will soon be available on YouTube.