Studio Ghibli founder Hayao Miyazaki is coming out of retirement to work on a brand new feature film. The report is coming from 47News, who spoke to producer Toshio Suzuki (The Wind Rises producer).
“Even now, Miyazaki is working very hard in Tokyo to create,” Suzuki told 47News. He also mention that Miyazaki showed him storyboards for the new project.
Miyazaki caused a stir last year after putting his retirement on hold so he can help produce the Kemushi no Boro CGI short for the Ghibli Museum. During a TV special report, he jokingly said, “maybe this should be a full-length film.”
It’s not confirmed if Kemushi no Boro is going to become a full-length film, but Miyazaki is said to be working on 100 cuts of footage for Kemushi no Boro.
Screenshots of Hayao Miyazaki's Boro short film as seen on the recent NHK TV special. Or is this perhaps the FEATURE FILM version??? pic.twitter.com/4ysYdLTYM7
— Ghibli Blog (@GhibliBlog) February 24, 2017
Looks like Miyazaki is going to keep fans waiting before revealing the title of his new project. He has been working in the industry since 1971’s Lupin III, and has risen as anime’s most well-known director. Spirited Away is currently the highest-grossing film at the Japanese box office, though Your Name has out-earned it globally. Spirited Away is also the only foreign animated film to have won the Academy Award for Best Animated Film.
Are you looking forward to learning more about Miyazaki’s new project?